Inspired meal and snack ideas to take on the road
When you’re packing for a family holiday it’s tempting to think, “Oh we’ll just grab a meal somewhere along the way.” But do you really want to spend precious time searching for a healthy, affordable meal that will satisfy the whole family? A few minutes of planning and prep will save you time and money in the long run, and keep you and your crew happily moving along.
Ingredients (serves 4 people)
Roast the Chicken:
1, 3-4 lb. chicken
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and pepper
ASSEMBLE THE PITA SANDWICHES:
4 pita pockets
1 cup chopped romaine leaves
1 cup chopped tomatoes
1 cup cubed feta
1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
1/2 cup thinly sliced peeled cucumber
1/2 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons redwine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Roast the Chicken:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Place chicken in shallow roasting pan. Rubwith olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper.
3. Squeeze one half of lemon over chicken, slice up remaining half, and tuck into cavity.
4. Roast for 50-60 minutes until juices run clear.
5. Cool chicken and then dice into bite size pieces.
6. Assemble the pita sandwiches:
Cut pita bread in half. Divide the chicken, romaine, tomatoes, feta, onion, and cucumber between the pockets. Wrap individually or store in plastic containers.
7. Whisk together the olive oil, redwine vinegar, oregano and salt and pepper to taste and pack into a small plastic container.
8. When you’re ready to eat, drizzle 1-2 teaspoons of vinaigrette into pita pockets and tuck in!