Kadai Paneer Gravy is a mouthwatering recipe made from paneer cooked in a spicy gravy made of onions, tomatoes, capsicum and traditional Indian spices. It is one of the most popular Indian curries and cooked throughout the world.
This irresistible aromatic dish is easy to cook and served as an entree in most restaurants and dhabas. Kadai Paneer can be enjoyed with roti/chapati, plain parantha, naan or flavored rice like Jeera rice or Pulao.
This dish gets its name from Kadai, an Indian wok, which is essential for cooking Indian cuisines and used here to give smoky flavor to paneer (Indian cottage cheese).
Paneer constitutes the main ingredient in this dish. Paneer or Indian cottage cheese is a fresh cheese common in South Asian cuisine. Even popular food chains like McDonalds India, Subway, Pizza Hut, Dominos have customized their menus to include special items with Paneer as the main ingredient. Paneer is used in making many different delicacies in Indian Cuisine and Kadai Paneer is the most popular of them.
Kadai Paneer can be made in various ways. You can make a dry/semi-dry version for serving with Breads. You can also cook it with gravy if you want to serve it with rice dish. This recipe is for the gravy version of Kadai Paneer.
Ingredients For Kadai Paneer Gravy Recipe
- 250 gm Paneer (Indian Cottage Cheese), cubed
- 2 Medium Sized Onions
- 4-5 Large Tomatoes
- 1 Medium Sized Green Bell Pepper / Capsicum
- 2 Green Chillies
- 2 inch Ginger, grated
- 5-6 Cloves of Garlic
- 1/2 Cup Cream
- 1 Tablespoon Coriander Powder (Dhania Powder)
- 2 Teaspoons Red Chili Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 2 Teaspoon Crushed Kasuri Methi (Dry Fenugreek Leaves)
- 2 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Coriander
Step By Step Instructions
- Heat ghee / butter or oil in a kadai (wok) or a pan. Finely chop or make a paste of Ginger, Garlic and Green Chillies. Add them to the pan and fry for a minute.
- Finely chop or make a puree of the onions and add them to the pan. Fry them for 4-5 minutes till they become translucent or golden brown.
- Make a puree of the tomatoes and add them to the pan. Cook the mixture for 5-6 minutes till the raw aroma of the tomatoes goes away.
- Add Coriander Powder (Dhania Powder), Turmeric Powder (Haldi), Red Chili Powder and Garam Masala to the gravy.
- Thinly slice or chop the capsicums. Add them to the gravy and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add 3/4 Cup Water to adjust the consistency along with Salt, according to taste. Then add 1/2 Cup Cream to the gravy.
- Add Dry Fenugreek Leaves (Kasuri Methi). Then add the Paneer Cubes and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add coriander leaves to garnish. Kadai Paneer Gravy is ready, serve it hot with Roti or Naan (Indian Flatbread).